Our tips for moving out
Moving out of your home can be stressful, but if you get organised and plan well ahead the whole process will go a lot more smoothly.
- We've gathered our top tips for making moving as stress free as possible:
- Use a professional moving firm; do not try to move everything yourself in a rented van. They are trained professionals, and will do all of the work for you. Ask us for our recommendations, or ask friends and family who they have used in the past.
- Try to avoid moving on a Friday – it’s the most popular day, and therefore the most expensive!
- Take meter readings on your property the day you move out.
- Ensure that all of your post is re-directed by the Royal Mail. Use our checklist below to make sure you have informed everyone that you are moving.
- It could be some time before you have internet in your new property. Download anything you may need for the new home from the internet before you move.
- Leave a note of anything important for the new owners. This can include things like alarm codes, where the water and other meters are, and sockets.
Who to inform - checklist
When you move out, it is best to ensure that you tell everyone who has your address about your new address. This will make sure nothing important goes to the wrong place, and that no one is forgotten:
Mobile Phone Provider
Cable/satellite and internet service providers
TV/video rental companies
Credit card companies
Council tax department
National savings and premium bonds
Breakdown recovery company
Friends and relatives